Monday, October 8, 2012

Real Life- I'm just a kid

Well it is a very cold day and all I want to do is snuggle up in my warm bed. I had a rough start this morning as I slept through my alarm and completely missed my first class which had a paper due. Cool Julia. But as I scurried around trying to get my paper printed and get to class, I found a little note outside my door from my best friend Helen. Talk about a nice knock in the right direction, I am sitting there super frustrated and ready to just give up and I get this sweet note to brighten my day. Have I mentioned lately of how blessed I am? Cause I am! I have the best friend in the whole world!

Then later in the day she surprised me again by getting me a goodie bag, its contents: Apple Juice, Reeses, Hershey bar, Skittles, and a banana. I dont know about you but I dont know many 21 year olds who get overly excited about something like that but I did cause I loved it. I love surprises (well, for the most part--it kind of interferes with me wanting to know everything but thats ok). Oh oh, and I got another sweet note! two in one day people! I feel like a kid on christmas morning, no lie. So to tie in my blog title, basically I'm just a kid.

For those of you who think growing up and getting old means being boring and having no fun, I plan to prove that theory wrong. I think we should all embrace our inner child all the time because its fun and its real. It is crazy to see people actually fight to not let a child like feature shine through them. How I look at it is at least being older you are a lot smarter than you were when you were three so you dont just jump off of tall things and get hurt, you know boundaries.(well, for the most part) :)  Acting like a kid is much better than actually being one ya know?

Today was good for those reasons and because I finally took my free opportunities to invest in everyone around me. I had a conversation with my friend Caroline the other day about how different this year has been, not just for ourselves but it has just been different for everyone.  Not in a bad way either, just different. Everyone has different schedules, everyone has just come such a long way from the beginning of this journey here at Gardner Webb, it has been an interesting adjustment but a beautiful one as well.

Difference is...

I am watching that shy kid branch out and be a leader thriving in a group of people, holding their own ground. I am seeing people break out of their awkward shell just to seek new and exciting friendships. I see friends growing closer day by day. I am seeing us all begin to embrace the idea of being adults one day. I am seeing a friend get excited about being married one day and knowing that we will all be there to celebrate with her. I see someone be healthy for once, being active amongst her peers. And all together I see this beautiful picture of community, one big group of kids, laughing, sharing their lives with one another, and filling a room with more love than most could probably handle. Exciting, huh? I told you it wasnt bad!

I woke up grumpy and am going to end this day feeling like the most blessed person ever...as I usually do. I am witnessing these crazy cool things, I  am seeing Gods work EVERY SINGLE DAY! Sometimes it doesnt always hit me in the face but when it does it is crazy cool. I love it. I love my life. And I absolutely love my friends, and everything they bring to my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment